The people of the Earth Kingdom are diverse and strong. They are persistent and enduring. They are proud and live by a philosophy of peaceful coexistence and cooperation with the other nations of the world.
The Earth Kingdom is characterized by significant ethnic and cultural diversity
* Toph ran away from home and hid in a cave inhabited by badgermoles. Badgermoles were the first earthbenders and according to Toph, she felt that she and the creatures understood each other as they were both blind. She learned earthbending by imitating their movements. She learned to "see" through the use of her earthbending, detecting people and objects through their vibrations, which she sensed through the ground via her bare feet.Her persistence helped her to develop a keen sense of hearing*
* Suki began her Kyoshi Warrior training at the age of eight. Through strength and patience became a master in tessenjutsu, the art of fan combat*
*Bumi was the wild-eyed, eccentric, elderly King of Omashu. As a child, Bumi had been Aang's only friend from before the Hundred Year War confirmed to still be alive. He became an old and wild man, prone to cackling and snorting laughter at unfunny jokes. Bumi's eccentricity arose out of the fact that he always kept his mind "open to the possibilities"*
1) What do diversity, strength, persistence, patience, and “Open to possibilities” mean to you?
Can you give other examples of when our characters demonstrated these traits?
2) When you set out to learn or create something new are youpatient and persistent with practice or do you try to learn as much as you can as quickly as you can?
The Earth Kingdom is immense in size. The northwestern areas are mountainous and covered in dense coniferous forests with the only known settlement in the area being a merchant town, while the western coast harbors a warmer climate and many deciduous forests. The inland west is also home to several swamps and the arid Great Divide, while the center of the Kingdom is comprised of the enormous Si Wong Desert. The southwestern coast is covered with lush forests – however, a rain shadow leaves the Kolau Mountains and areas to the southwest as arid mountain ranges with sparse grasslands – the only major settlement in the area being Omashu. The southern coast is a lush area filled with rivers and forested areas, populated by wealthy towns like Gaoling; north, over the mountains, the land turns to sparsely populated plains which once again meld into the Si Wong Desert. The only known settlement in the northeast is Ba Sing Se. The Earth Kingdom borders the United Republic to the east, which was formerly part of the Kingdom.
3) Define coniferous anddeciduous. Using only the description above and your imagination, create a map of what you think the Earth Kingdom looks like.
The main food source for the Earth Kingdom are rice and fresh vegetables grown in the rich fertile soil. Fruit and nut trees are plentiful
4) If time allows, using supplies from home like a small container (ex:plastic butter or sour cream container), soil, and a few seeds (you can use seeds from any veggies used to cook meals at home) plant your own Earth Kingdom garden.
The Kyoshi Warriors are an all-female group of fighters led by Suki on Kyoshi Island. The makeup worn by the Kyoshi Warriors resembles that worn in traditional Chinese opera. The green kimonos are inspired by Kabuki theater. The Kyoshi Warriors' use of fans is similar to Tessenjutsu, a martial art that is characterized by the use of war fan. Their weaponry is similar to that of the samurai warrior of Japanese culture.
5) Using materials and resources from home, put together a detailed presentation about the Kyoshi Warriors to share with your family.
The majority of the buildings in the Earth Kingdom are made of stone, wood, and plaster; these may be used in conjunction with one another or separately, depending on the available resources. Most buildings have sloping roofs covered with dark gray or green tiles and yellow tiles denote wealth
*If time allows, using materials from home, build your version of an Earth kingdom building*
The people of the Earth Kingdom are known for diversity. This is represented by the architecture, culture and clothing styles of the vast Earth Kingdom. The Earth Kingdom seems to resemble the Ming and Qing dynasties of China, with the exception of Gaoling, which appears to culturally resemble the Tang dynasty. The buildings in Ba Sing Se look like those in the Forbidden City. The king himself wears the clothing of a Chinese Emperor during the Qing Dynasty. There are some exceptions, however, for instance: the citizens of Kyoshi Island seem to have a more Japanese appearance; King Bumi had a wardrobe, which did not really follow a defined style; and some of the peasants in the Earth Kingdom, such as Song, wore Korean-style clothing.
*Think of a few things in your neighborhood that represent diversity*
Each of the four nations is influenced by their own distinct, dominant season. The Earth Kingdom's dominant season is spring*Discuss why you think that the Earth Kingdom is most influenced by Spring.
Tea is the most common drink and is made from many plants, including ginseng, lychee, jasmine, and the rare white dragon bush.
*Host a tea party with your family. Try ginseng, lychee, and jasmine tea. Think about what you think a white dragon bush flower looks like. Think about what the tea might taste like. If time allows try an experiment. Make, taste, and share your own dragon bush tea.
Iroh refers to as the element of Earth as "element of substance", and calls earthbenders “virtually immovable”
*What does the phrase “virtually immovable” mean to you? Give a few examples of when our Earth Kingdom characters were “virtually immovable”